Monday 9 August 2010

08/08/2010 - Scafell Pike and Lingmell............Navigation Fail !

The weather forecast was looking good, broken cloud and sunny spells. However I have learned over the years that the mountains make there own weather and not to entirely trust the forecast. 

The plan was park at Seathwaite farm and get my Dad up Lingmell and Scafell Pike via the corridor route, which he had never done before.

Well low cloud and limited visibility was to be the order of the day. Visibility was down to between 50 and 100 metres this made navigation a lot harder, however I was pretty confident, confident but untested.

Dad and I got up to the corridor route and along it no problems, however I made some basic mistakes and couldn't find the path to Lingmell. I was really disappointed. Well looking back at it now I know where I went wrong and have learned my lesson, just shows I need a lot more practice of navigation in bad weather.


Dad and I just below the summit of Scafell Pike.

Looking back toward Scafell as we descended

Great End is in there somewhere !


This is how the day eneded. As we got to the end of our walk the mist and low cloud cleared, sun and blue skies......typical :P



1 comment:

  1. I was on Gable and other smaller things last week. Started all the walks in the afternoon...... and all the fantastic views were about 6pm when I was back down in the valley.

    ReplyDelete